Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What is more beautiful than the fresh fallen snow?




What is more beautiful than looking out the window this morning and seeing a blanket of snow with still huge snowflakes falling? After spending some time on God’s Word and meditating on the beauty of the fallen snow in scripture. (See verses at the end of this note.) Then enter each of the younger children. First our little Hannah, she goes over to the window and sees the snow and starts to dance and sing a song. “Thank you Jesus for the snow, the beautiful, beautiful fluffy white snow… la la la” And then looks out again and just giggles and says ‘Daddy, it is really snowing.. a lot”. Daniel crowds in giggling with his sister wanting to get in on whatever has her signing and dancing and then you see him glance out the window and he sees it. His face is full of wonder as he stares out the window and you can see his eyes and his expressions as he is trying to process what he is seeing… he is only two and thus does not remember ever seeing snow before. He stands there looking out the window and his face, his eyes grow big then curious then excited as he assimilates what he is seeing. Then he points and exclaims “snow!” though it sounds more like ‘no’. He spends a little more time watching the huge snowflakes fall and then he and Hannah burst into song and dance again about the beautiful fluffy white snow. They decide to go get Jordan and Stephen. First Jordan comes in and as soon as she sees the snow she grabs my arm and says “Look Momma, snow, it is snowing! Jesus does answer prayer! I prayed for snow really I did and look, it is here! Can I call Riley, she needs to know that God answered our prayers.” Then she sits down to look at the snow for a while. In comes Stephen. He looks out at the snow and is in awe. “Mom, look how much snow there is, usually it would take days to work up to that amount of snow. Yesterday, there was no snow and today there is all that snow and it is still coming down in huge flakes. Did you know that it could snow that much when it was not snowing yesterday? If it continues to snow today then we’ll have to dig our way out. But if I had a troop of men, you wouldn’t have to worry because we would have no problem digging a tunnel from here to the mailbox and then if you needed us to we could dig it to the store. If you wanted us to we could dig a tunnel to the playhouse so the children could play. But if it is going to be this snowy we will need provisions and warm blankets……. His story goes on for a while, then he looks up at me and says “It’s beautiful, isn’t it mom.” And then goes back into his army story. Sarah pretends she is too old to get excited about the snow, rolls over and snuggles deep into her covers. But quickly she is roused out of her cocoon and when she sees the snow she smiles and I can see the smile radiating as it goes into her soul.
I didn’t get to see Jonny’s response to the snow, he is working away from home this week in Graham. But when he got up he called me and queried “Did you guys get snow” with a hit of anticipation in his voice. I told him about his siblings reactions and he encouraged me to put Stephen in some jeans, boots and a hat and get pictures of him. You could hear in his voice that he wanted to be here to bombard his little brother in a great snowball fight. Sadly he tells me they didn’t get any snow in Graham, but that they were expecting some tonight or tomorrow, but it would not help them on their job, so he didn’t know whether to wish for it or not. Joshua’s was the response of many men going to work this morning… first a deep breath and almost a sigh then “I hope the roads are good, I’ll be careful, gotta go I’m running late.”
So what is more beautiful than the snow? Watching my children’s reactions when they first see the first snow of the year. Thank you Lord for the snow and for the experience of seeing my children’s reactions to the snow. And for your Word, your living and active Word. Like a blanket of snow, it comes down and covers me and waters my soul as it melts into my spirit and blankets me with white and light. May I in return bud and flourish and yield seed.


Job 37:6
He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.'

Psalm 51:7
Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Proverbs 25:13
Like the coolness of snow at harvest time is a trustworthy messenger to those who send him; he refreshes the spirit of his masters.

Proverbs 26:1
Like snow in summer or rain in harvest, honor is not fitting for a fool.

Proverbs 31:21
When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

Isaiah 1:18
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.

Isaiah 55:10
As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

No comments: